GIS Education and Training
GIS Classes Taught at ISU
There are many classes at ISU that teach GIS principles or that apply GIS principles to a variety of application areas. Course List
GIS Short Courses
Introduction to ArcGIS. This course provides an overview of ArcGIS functionality including data creation, analysis, map layouts and maintaining projects within the ArcGIS environment. Introduction of the geodatabase model will also be covered. Please contact the ISU Extension Geospatial Technology Program for dates, times, and cost.
ESRI Virtual Campus Courses
Esri has reorganized how you access Virtual Campus courses through their website. You will no longer need to receive a code from Esri through me as they are no longer assigning course codes. If you have current codes that you have not used, they can still be used up to a year from the issue date. If you want to use these, please contact Josh Obrecht (email@example.com)for instructions on how to do this.
In order to take Esri training, you will need to be registered through ArcGIS Online with your ISU login information. If you already have an ArcGIS Online account, you may skip to Step 3. Otherwise, begin with Step 1. Any questions, please let Josh know.
- Click the blue button and you will log in with your ISU information. This will register you with ArcGIS Online.
- Email Josh Obrecht (firstname.lastname@example.org) and let him know you have registered with ArcGIS Online and would like access to the training courses.
- Josh will grant you access and you will be notified once this has been completed.
- After you have access, visit https://www.esri.com/training/ and click Sign In.
- Click Enterprise Account. In the next window, enter isugisf into box as such
- On the next window, you will want to click the button.
- This will take you to an ISU login page where you will need to login with your ISU id and password. Once this is done, you be redirected back to Esri and logged in.
Once you are logged in, you can Find Training under Catalog. You will see all the training that is available to you. Ones you can access will show an unlocked lock. Please note, if you normally provide your students or staff members with codes, it would be best for them to be added to the organization and to create an account. Otherwise they will need to log in with your information in order to take the training.
If you want to see what trainings are available, please visit https://www.esri.com/training/#!/catalog/search. We suggest the following courses for beginners.
Getting Started with GIS
Basics of Geographic Coordinate Systems
Basics of Map Projections
Getting Started with the Geodatabase
Creating Map Products
Solving Spatial Problems Using ArcGIS
Editing in ArcGIS Desktop