The Iowa ACPF Soil Vulnerability Index (SVI) database includes estimations of soil runoff potential and soil leaching potential for row-cropped fields in each HUC12 watershed. This database was created using the 2010 HUC12 Iowa P-Library series LiDAR derived, 2-m DEMs and the ACPF database. These datasets allow for map-unit level estimation of soil runoff potential and soil leaching potential, which can be aggregated to the field-level using the dominant soil class, or the most-limiting soil class. For each soil map unit, slope output is evaluated along with the hydrologic soil group and soil erodibility to classify the runoff potential and, with addition of the ACPF-based coarse fragment content of the soil and the presence of organic soils, to classify the leaching potential. For more detailed information regarding how these metrics are determined, see Thompson et al. (2020).
In order to download SVI data, you will be asked for some information that we use to track use of our application. These tools will NOT work with Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer; we recommend using Chrome or Firefox.
The downloadable features for each HUC12 in this database include:
- A field boundary feature class; FB<HUC12>
- SVI by-field table; fbSVI<HUC12> -- joinfield: FBndID
- 6-year land use information for each field; LU6_<HUC12>
- Crop history information for each field; CH_<HUC12>
- A gSSURGO soils raster; 10-m resolution
- SVI soil map unit table; muSVI<HUC12> -- joinfield: MUKEY
Within the field-level SVI file geodatabase tables, soil runoff potential and soil leaching potential are represented for both the dominant and most limiting soil class and include an estimate of the percent of the field in those classes. The attributes include;
- DomSRP: Dominant soil runoff potential
- DomSRPpct: Percent of field represented by the dominant soil runoff potential class
- DomSLP: Dominant soil leaching potential
- DomSLPpct: Percent of field represented by the dominant soil leaching potential class
- MLimSRP: Most limiting soil runoff potential
- MLimSRPpct: Percent of field represented by the most limiting runoff potential soil class
- MLimSLP: Most limiting soil leaching potential
- MLimSLPpct: Percent of field represented by the most limiting leaching potential soil
Thompson, A., Baffaut, C., Lohani, S., Duriancik, L., Norfleet, M., & Ingram, K. (2020). Purpose, development, and synthesis of the Soil Vulnerability Index for inherent vulnerability classification of cropland soils. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, 75(1), 1-11.